How to Use Baths
Magical Baths are one of the simplest and most effective ways of purifying the self, preparing yourself for magical work, or for inviting in desired magical effects.
The tradition of using herbs in cleansing and magical bathing is an old practice rooted in Judeo-Christian tradition and African religious traditions. Psalm 51:7 even reads: "Purify me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow." and the tradition of using hyssop in cleansing baths persists to this day. In fact it is one of the required ingredients in any Uncrossing Bath.These herb blends can be used as a magical bath or even as a floor wash to "bathe your home".
How to Bathe
Hoodoo's magical baths are not luxuriating tubs full of flower petals and perfumes that you sit and soak in. They are basins of herbal and mineral infusions that are dumped over the head quickly. There is something to be said for the shock of dumping water over your head versus slipping into a warm comfortable bath. It shocks your system and instantly changes your energetic vibrations.
Baths are typically done in the following manner: 1. Set up two white candles burning on either side of your tub or shower such that you'll have to pass through them as you step out of it.
2. Plug the tub to catch some of the water as it runs off of your body. (Or if you have a shower, place a bowl inside the shower - you'll stand over it as you bathe and it will catch some of the used bath water that runs off of you)
3. Heat up some water and allow your herbs to steep until they have transferred their essence and aroma to the water (as strong tea-like infusion is perfect) - strain the herbs out of the liquid
4. Fill a big bowl with bath-temperature water and add your herbal infusion to it (diluting it)
5. Disrobe and take your big bowl of diluted bath into the bathroom
6. Stand in the tub or shower and dump the bowl of diluted bath water over your body.* (Note: you will capture some of your used bathwater either because you plugged the tub, or because you stood over a bowl that caught the water coming off of you)
7. Pray a psalm that is appropriate for your condition*
8. Wipe the excess liquid off of your body, and step out of the bath passing between the two lit candles*
9. Air dry (stand in front of a heater if you are cold)
10. Dress in clean clothes
11. Take some of the captured bathwater outdoors and toss it over your left shoulder toward the east (toward the rising sun)* and walk away without looking back *Conditions, adjustments and considerations Above is the "general" outline for how baths are performed but there are some conditions and considerations depending on what you seek to get out of your bath.
Direction of pouring: Traditionally, if you are inviting/drawing in something, like drawing in love (True Love Herb Bath), or drawing in money (Money Draw Herb Bath), you would pour the bath over your body starting at your feet then moving upward toward your head. If you are eliminating something (like cleansing negativity off of you with a Spiritual Purification Herb Bath), performing an uncrossing (Uncrossing Herb Bath) or reversing something back at an enemy) you would pour the bath over your body starting at the head and working your way downward. This same rule is used when wiping the excess liquid off of your body. Wipe downward to get things off of you, wipe upward to invite energies into your life.
Time of bathing: Traditionally magical baths are performed before the sun rises. Invariably someone will complain about how early this is. To them I say, "tradition says, before the sun rises" but the idea is to do it as the first thing before you even speak to anyone.
Silence: Do not speak or utter a word until you are praying in your bath. Thus the first words you utter all day are your magical intent in the form of your psalm.
Psalm: Typically Psalm 23 is prayed while performing any type of bath, but there are others you can use according to your needs.
Psalm 23: The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness For His namesake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and kindness will follow me all the days of my life, And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
Tossing out the Bath Water: Typically, captured bath water that contains your former energetic condition is disposed of by tossing it toward the east, toward the rising sun. For cleansing baths - like Uncrossing Baths or Spiritual Purification Baths, the water can be tossed toward the east into a crossroads to disperse your former negative energy toward the four corners of the earth. For spells to wash someone out of your life, you can perform your bath at sunset and toss the water toward the west that the "sun may set" on that relationship. Bathing for Consecutive Days It is traditional to perform magical baths for several days in a row when performing an uncrossing or other magical cleansing. Typically, a 3-day, 7-day, 9-day or 13-day course of bathing will be prescribed depending on how bad the situation is. Major Uncrossing Baths will require a 13 day bath run. A simpler Love Uncrossing Bath might require just 3 days worth of bathing. If you are performing a magical bath prior to a spell (like a Money Draw Bath before preparing a Money Draw candle) you only need to perform one bath the morning of your magical working immediately before you do your spell work. Please check out my website and read the Terms and Uses page… Also, subscribe to become a Wicked Subscribe: